The weather will be cooler soon enough, and as the milder temps arrive in Atlanta, make sure to review this fall home checklist to be ready for the winter season! When the temps become more manageable to work in, this is the time to for home maintenance and small repairs. Not only is this prime time for fall festivals, Pumpkin Spice everything, and sweaters…it’s also the time to prepare your home for cold weather!
This Fall home checklist will give you a head start at preparing your home for the cooler months! 1 checklist for the inside and out of your home!
Outdoor Fall Home Checklist
- Trim back all of your shrubs and trees to help prevent overgrowth. Make sure to keep watch of trees that are leaning towards the home or branches that need trimming.
- Wrap up and put your hoses away to prevent cracking and freezing of your outdoor spigots.
- Rake the leaves and clean branches from around your home and from around your yard. Don’t do this too early or your hard efforts will be wasted. Wait until the leaves have all fallen
- Clean out all of your gutters and downspouts. Repair any bent gutters and check the downspouts are not pooling water towards the home.
- Stock up on winter supplies such as salt or sand for walkways in the event of ice.
- Level any uneven areas on walkways to prevent falls.
- Repair any outdoor lighting and replace emergency lights if necessary. The days are shorter and lighting is important for safety and to prevent injury.
- Check railings and boards on exterior decks and wooden structures. Check for soft spots and repair any potential hazards.
- Test your generators and refill propane and gas cans from summer use.
- Seal any gaps where little rodents and critters may enter into your home.
- Check your weather stripping on all doors, including your garage door.
- Winterize your pool and check cover for rips or tears.
- Clear away any debris, leaves, or sticks away from your outdoor HVAC units.
- Drain all gas from your lawn maintenance equipment. Don’t forget your leaf blowers and chain saws.
- Clean and store away your deck furniture. Clean and cover grills to prevent unnecessary wear.
Indoor Fall Home Checklist
- Make sure your windows are caulked and closing properly to prevent drafts.
- Have your fireplace cleaned by a licensed chimney sweep. A clean fireplace is safer and also prevents excessive dust and soot in your home. Make sure to hire a reputable company that will perform the work cleanly and effectively. Creosote can ignite and create a fire in your home if not removed.
- Now is the time to check the batteries in all smoke and CO detectors. Each heating and fire place season reports are made of home fires. Make sure your home is safe and you have the appropriate warning in the event there is a gas leak or fire emergency.
- Make sure to update your fire escape plan and brief the family on what to do in the event of fire. It is always a great idea to perform a yearly fire drill, especially if you have children.
- Hire a reputable company to perform your heating tune up on your HVAC system. This is crucial to keeping your utility costs down, air quality high and comfort at its best. Join a HVAC maintenance plan for regular visits and personalized service each season.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fans to redistribute the warm air throughout the home.
- Clean your dryer vent. The dry winter months cause more static electricity which can spark a fire.
- Insulate your pipes that border exterior walls. Freezing temps can cause burst pipes and serious water damage to your home. Check your garage for exposed pipes. This is an area that is often overlooked.
- Review how to shut off the water at the main shut off valve. In the event of a burst pipe, it is always a good idea to be prepared.
- Don’t forget about your attic insulation. Each year do you think about adding more insulation to the attic? Consider spray foam insulation for optimum energy efficiency and comfort.
The harsh weather, by Cobb County standards, is on the way. Soon the temps will plummet and our heating systems will be on full blast. Make sure your home is ready with this fall home checklist. Keep your energy costs low and emergency situations at bay. Enjoy the crisp air, beautiful colors, and weekend bonfires with a little fall preparedness.
Take a look at our fall offers to help your prepare for the coming winter. We are scheduling heating tune ups now! Schedule today or call 770-727-1888.